Curling may initially seem confusing to the uninitiated. But it can be loads of funs once you get the hang of it. And like any other sport, it offers a lot of potential health benefits. Here are some of the top reasons why playing the sport of curling is good for you.
1. Stretches muscles. Curling is a great way to make stretching a part of your regular activities. Stretching is part of pre- and post-practice or game routines. It helps in toning muscles and improving flexibility.
2. Cardiovascular exercise. If you think curling does not offer much physical exercise, think again! Playing the sport is a good cardiovascular workout. You get an aerobic exercise from all the throwing and sweeping combined with the running involved as you try to hit a goal while playing the game.
3. Full-body workout. Curling does not only strengthen leg and glute muscles as you slide or squat during practice or a game. Some movements also exercises the arm and core muscles as you curl and sweep towards a goal.
4. Improves stamina. Like most sports, the faster team always has an advantage. An improved stamina often leads to an increase in speed.
5. Social activity. Curling is a great way to meet new friends who share the same interest or passion for the sport. It is an excellent activity to pursue with family or friends. The teamwork helps in building new friendships and strengthening old ones. The team you practice and play with can be a source support during tough times. The fun experiences and positive relationships you gain from curling can help in improving wellbeing.
6. Mental exercise. There is a lot of precision involved in playing the sport. Every move has a purpose. And while curling is fairly straightforward, players think on their feet and often under pressure to gain the upper hand. Playing the game not only exercises your body but it can also be an excellent mental workout.
7. Burns calories. You burn calories as you try to keep up with the physical demands of the game. Regular practice helps you manage your weight or lose some excess pounds, if needed.
Energy is not a limitless resource. What you eat impacts how much you can tap on at any given day. You have to fuel your body with the right foods that provide the nutrients you need to stay energized throughout the. Exercising or playing a sport like curling consumes energy especially during intense workouts. You have to make sure that you have enough to fuel you in your daily activities. Here are some of the natural ways to increase you energy and eat to support your active lifestyle.
Eat right. Focus on building healthy eating habits and stick to it regardless of how challenging it may get sometimes. This is easier said than done given the wide array of challenges you may have to deal with. Busy schedule, travel, and limited access to healthy foods are just some of the things you have to be prepared to deal with. The good news is that you can always find a way to eat right. You just need to be mindful of your food choices. Fuel your body with energy-boosting foods to sustain your activities every day.
Exercise. Make exercise a daily part of your life. Choose a workout, sport, or any physical activity that you enjoy. There is no dearth of workout ideas that address your needs and preferences. If lack of time is an issue, there are short but high intensity workouts you can do in as little as 10 minutes or less. You can also make the most of your commute. Go for more walks, use the stairs, and make it a habit to keep moving every chance you get.
Relax. Take time to relax despite your busy schedule. Use relaxation techniques to refresh your mind and body. Take regular breaks from your work. Step outside your home or office building to get some fresh air. Drink a cup of tea or use the time for a quick nap. Giving yourself some personal time gives you an opportunity to replenish your energy.
Sleep well. Try to get as much sleep as you can. Make your room conducive for rest to maximize your sleep time. Turn off the lights, mute the music, set the room temperature at a comfortable level, and put your mobile devices or smart phone in silent mode. You will feel energized after a good night’s rest and less likely to overindulge in coffee and food to perk yourself up.